If Your Dog Ate Gum, Here's What to Do

If Your Dog Ate Gum, Here’s What to Do

If Your Dog Ate Gum, Here’s What to Do

If your dog has eaten gum, you may be wondering what to do. Fortunately, gum typically passes through a dog’s digestive system without any major issues, but there are a few things you should know to make sure your pup stays safe and healthy. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the potential risks of your dog eating gum, what to do if it happens, and what to watch out for. Read on to learn more about the steps to take if your dog has eaten gum.

Call The Vet

If your dog ate gum, it’s important to call the vet as soon as possible. Gum can be dangerous for dogs if it contains xylitol, a sweetener found in many types of gum and other products. Xylitol is toxic to dogs and can cause low blood sugar, seizures, and even liver failure if ingested in large amounts.

Your vet will be able to advise you on the best course of action to take. Depending on the type of gum your dog ate, the amount ingested, and their size and health, they may recommend inducing vomiting or administering activated charcoal to help prevent further absorption of the toxins. If your dog ate a large amount of gum, they may need to be hospitalized for observation and treatment.

To avoid future incidents, always make sure to store gum and any other food or products containing xylitol out of reach of your dog. If you have any questions or concerns about what to do if your dog eats gum, don’t hesitate to call your vet.

Read Also: Can Dogs Eat Tilapia?

Induce Vomiting

If your dog has just ingested gum, the first thing you should do is induce vomiting. This is best done by giving your dog 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 lbs of body weight. However, it’s important to note that you should never give your dog any more than 3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide. It’s also important to make sure that the hydrogen peroxide isn’t expired, as expired hydrogen peroxide can be toxic to your pet.

Once you’ve given your dog the hydrogen peroxide, try to get him to drink some water or eat some food to help the process along. If your dog doesn’t vomit within 15 minutes of receiving the hydrogen peroxide, you can give him a second dose.

If your dog does not vomit after the second dose, it’s time to seek veterinary attention immediately. Be sure to bring the packaging from the gum with you so the vet knows exactly what your dog has ingested.

Give Your Dog Plenty of Water

If your dog has recently eaten a piece of gum, the first thing you should do is give your pup plenty of water. Not only will the water help flush out the gum from their system, but it can also help to relieve any discomfort that may be caused by the gum’s stickiness.

Giving your pup plenty of water is especially important if they’ve ingested a sugar-free gum, as these can contain sweeteners like xylitol which are toxic to dogs. Drinking plenty of water can help dilute the toxin and make it easier for your pup to pass.

When giving your pup water, try to use room temperature or slightly cooled water. This helps to keep your pup from getting too cold, which can further complicate the situation. If your pup won’t drink the water, you may want to try adding some chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable stock to entice them.

Once your pup has finished drinking, keep an eye on them to make sure they’re feeling better. If they don’t seem to be recovering well, contact your veterinarian right away for additional advice.

Monitor Your Dog’s Stool

If your dog has ingested gum, the most important thing to do is to monitor their stool. Gum contains a type of sugar alcohol called xylitol, which can be toxic to dogs. If your dog has eaten gum, they may experience vomiting and diarrhea. 

Keep an eye out for any changes in their stools. It’s important to note any abnormal consistency, color, or smell. Additionally, it’s important to pay attention to the frequency and quantity of their stools. 

If you notice any signs of distress in your dog after eating gum, contact your veterinarian immediately. Your vet will be able to provide the best advice on how to handle the situation and ensure that your pet is safe and healthy.

Keep An Eye On Your Dog’s Symptoms

If your dog has eaten gum, the first thing to do is stay calm and observe your pet for any symptoms of discomfort. Gum contains sugar, which can lead to an upset stomach in dogs. Look out for signs of vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain or bloating. If your dog shows any of these symptoms, take him to the vet immediately.

It’s also important to note that some types of gum contain xylitol, a sweetener that is highly toxic to dogs. Make sure to check the ingredient list on the gum wrapper to make sure it doesn’t contain xylitol. If it does, you should call your vet right away and be prepared to bring your pet in for treatment.

It’s always best to be prepared when it comes to your pet’s health. Keep all gums and other potentially dangerous food items out of reach from your pup. If your dog does happen to eat some gum, monitor him carefully for any signs of illness. With prompt medical care, your furry friend will be back to normal in no time!

Read Also: Why Do Dogs Have Adam’s Apples?

How Long Does It Take A Dog To Pass Gum?

If you’ve ever had to ask the question, What should I do if my dog ate gum?, then you know it can be a stressful situation. While it might seem harmless to us humans, the consequences of your pup ingesting gum can be quite serious. 

The most important thing to do is to stay calm and act quickly. If your dog has eaten gum, the first step is to call your veterinarian and let them know what happened. They can provide guidance and advice on how best to handle the situation. Depending on the type of gum, there are certain steps that you should take to ensure your dog’s health and safety. 

When it comes to passing the gum, this can vary depending on the type of gum ingested and your pet’s individual digestive system. Generally speaking, it can take anywhere from 6-48 hours for the gum to pass through your dog’s system. 

If your dog has eaten sugar-free gum, it’s important to look out for any signs of gastrointestinal distress such as vomiting or diarrhea. These are symptoms of a condition called canine malignant hyperthermia, which can be caused by sugar-free gums containing xylitol. If your dog does show any signs of distress, you should take them to your vet immediately. 

It’s also important to be aware of the amount of gum your pet has eaten. If a large amount was consumed, it could lead to an intestinal blockage which would require medical attention. 

When it comes to taking care of your pup, knowledge is key. Knowing what to do if your dog eats gum can help prevent any serious medical issues. Be sure to consult with your veterinarian if you have any questions or concerns.